Saturday, September 25, 2010

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...

For those of you who have ever been to Sevilla, Spain, you know why I named this blog NO8DO.  But… for those of you who have not, here is a little background:

As you walk down the narrow streets of Sevilla you will see this city motto inscribed on bus stops, fire hydrants, benches, taxis, and monuments.  NO8DO is a rebus.  The figure eight in the middle is actually a skein which translated into Spanish is “medeja.”  The emblem read exactly as written would then read No medeja do which means absolutely nothing.  BUT say it ten times fast and it sounds remarkable like “No me ha dejado” which translated into English is “She (Sevilla) will never leave me.”

As I am a closet romantic and self proclaimed history buff I wanted to check out the tale behind this enchanting motto.  Apparently, King Alfonso X son of Ferdinand of Castile had a greedy and irreverent son Sancho.  As King Alfonso X grew older and his eldest son died, Sancho began his quest for the throne.  Sevilla was one of only 3 cities in Spain who stayed loyal to the rightful King Alfonso X.  Thus, he gave them this motto in recognition of their devotion. NO8DO

For now, I am in Denver.  My last day in the US for a while… I have a new niece Jada Violet who is the most adorable little girl I have ever seen.  Who knew something so small and precious could capture the hearts of my entire family in 5 days.  Typically she is sleeping, crying, eating and pooping, but sometimes she just stares at us and it is so captivating we don’t dare look away.

Well, I’m signing off… I need to spend time with the little bean.  See you next time in Spain!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really proud of you girl. In high school I knew God had something special for you. We talked often about taking risks, living life by faith, going, doing and being. I'm proud to watch you do all the above.
    God Bless everything Marji touches, every conversation she has and every person she comes in contact with. Guide her steps, protect here and provide everything she needs.

    Love ya,

    Pd

    ReplyDelete